Monday 23 July 2012

Reading 1

I must admit I am guilty of focusing mainly on reading, writing and speaking in my own classroom(I teach Grade 3 F.I.).  I think one of the reasons I don't focus enough on listening are the challenges with finding appropriate resources in French. The author points to more practice, less testing and I think this is a powerful point as this allows students to develop the necessary skills without the fear they are going to be tested on it.  When Aponte-de-Hanna talks about the listener's conscious use of strategies and the processing that occurs, I realized there is a lot going on and how this could affect those with learning difficulties.  I was interested in the questionnaires as I thought this would be a useful tool.  The SILL, although geared to older students, had some questions I could adapt for my elementary students.  I am not sure I would want to raise their awareness of the types of strategies they use as I think it would lead to confusion but I could see myself taking one or two of the strategies and model ways of using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment